Prep: 25 min. + chilling
Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Dash salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup diced citron, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder; cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles small crumbs.
- Add eggs; stir until moistened and mixture forms a ball.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 10-in. circle.
- Place in a 9-in. pie plate; flute crust.
- For filling, beat the ricotta, sugar and flour in a bowl. Add peels and salt; beat until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes; slowly fold into ricotta mixture.
- Gently mix in remaining ingredients. Pour into the crust.
- Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool. Store in the refrigerator.
Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 482 calories, 23 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 196 mg cholesterol, 349 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© Taste of Home 2012