Cheese soup is one of my favorites, but it’s a bit too rich for my husband’s tastes. So, by changing the ingredients a little, I came up with a variation of potpie we both enjoy. (If I’m in a hurry and don’t have the time this takes to bake, I’ll leave off the crust, add extra milk and serve it as a chowder.
Prep: 30 min.
Bake: 40 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled cubed potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For crust, in a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut butter in flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add the water, mixing gently with a fork. Gather into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes.
- For filling, Place broth in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Add vegetables. Reduce heat; simmer 10-15 minutes or until are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk; stir into broth mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in cheese, chicken, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Heat until cheese melts. Spoon into a 10-in. (2-1/2 to 3-qt.) casserole. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll crust to fit top of casserole, trimming edges as necessary. Place on casserole over filling; seal edges. Make several slits in center of crust for steam to escape.
- Bake at 425° for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 603 calories, 31 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 161 mg cholesterol, 902 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 42 g protein.