“This recipe is so versatile! You can use Vidalia onions, green onions or leeks. Asparagus can take the place of broccoli, and you can use whatever fresh herbs or cheese you have on hand. I especially like it in spring, when I’m overwhelmed with an abundance of fresh greens.” Shannon Koene – Blacksburg, VA
Prep: 25 min.
Bake: 35 min.
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup crumbled tomato and basil feta cheese
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the spinach, mushrooms, broccoli and onion in oil until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to egg mixture. Stir in cheddar cheese and bacon. Pour into crust. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 384 calories, 25 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 152 mg cholesterol, 651 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein.