“This quiche would be a delightful addition to brunch, especially during the holiday season,” writes Patricia Harmon from Baden, Pennsylvania. “It’s savory from the sausage yet sweet from the sliced pear.”
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1/2 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 medium pear, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 pecan halves
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Arrange pear slices in crust; top with sausage. Sprinkle with pecans.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt, thyme and nutmeg. Stir in cheese.
- Pour over sausage.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and crust is golden brown.
- Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
- Garnish with pecan halves.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 375 calories, 27 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 160 mg cholesterol, 520 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.