I always make this dessert over the holidays using leftover eggnog. Now that it boasts all the classic flavor but half the fat and a third fewer calories, we can savor this holiday tradition down to the last rich crumb. —Beth McCreedy, Lapeer, Michigan
This recipe is: Healthy
- 8 Servings
- Prep: 45 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground walnuts
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups eggnog
- 2-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water, divided
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Ground nutmeg, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, walnuts, brown sugar and cocoa. Stir in butter. Lightly coat hands with cooking spray; press mixture into an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in eggnog until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Microwave on high for 20 seconds. Stir and let stand for 1 minute or until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir into reserved eggnog mixture.
- Divide mixture in half. Combine cocoa and remaining water; stir into one portion of eggnog mixture. Stir rum extract into the other portion. Cover and refrigerate mixtures until partially set.
- Fold whipped topping into rum-flavored filling; spoon into crust. Gently spread chocolate filling over the top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with whipped topping and nutmeg. Yield: 8 servings.Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with Land O’Lakes light stick butter and commercially prepared eggnog.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 297 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.